Re-Using a Astatic D-104 Mic
One of the primary goals in doing this, was to make sure as much as possible everything in the shack served a purpose and got used. We live in a small house and space is at a premium. I looked around the shack this spring and realized that all but a few things I had in it where basically just for decoration.
One of those “Things” was an old Astatic D-104 Mic. I got it when I purchased a Heathkit HW-101 about 3 years ago. The PO threw the mic in since I didn’t have one for the HW-101. I kept it because the XYL and one of my daughters thought it looked “Cool”. Well if I could get them to show at least some interest in may obsession, I wasn’t going to complain, so it just sat on the desk.
So, I decided to see if I could make it useful again. It wasn’t wired to work on any of my new Kenwoods and from what I researched, the original mic elements where pretty tinny and this one had been replaced at one time with only god knows what. I did a little more research and found the Heil Sound made a retro fit kit to put one of their elements in the D-104. I was excited about that and went to all the usual sources to order one. unfortunately, no one had one and one site said it was discontinued. I then went to Heil’s website and sure enough, I couldn’t find it listed.
So in desperation I emailed Heil and asked if I could at least by the components to rebuild the d-104. I was surprised to get a response back almost immediately from Bob himself.