K1SVC Hallicrafters S-38 Restoration – Part 1

Arthur has asked me to restore two of his father’s Hallicrafters receivers.  His father is K1SVC and his name is also Arthur.  He sent me a S-38 and a S-40.

In this video I show the condition of the S-38 and S-40 and start working on the S-38.

By the end of the video I have the S-38 chassis removed from the case and strip the top of it of components to prepare for cleaning.

The next video will show the cleaning, polishing and reassembly of the chassis.


Hallicrafters S-38B Restoration – Part 6 Final

In the final installment of our restoration We show how we made the replacement knobs and give a final overview of the completed restoration.

One point I want to clarify.  In one of the videos I misspoke and it sounded like the chassis was not hot.  What I did was make sure it wasn’t hot when the power was turned off and then I also installed a safety cap to make sure if the filter cap failed it would not fail to a short.

Over all we are very happy with the outcome and think we did justice to this restoration.  We learned a lot and hope to apply those lesions to future restorations.

At our local August club meeting, we presented the restored radio to our friend and he seemed to be very happy with it.  We have several more Hallicrafters radios to restore, so look for future videos on those.


Hallicrafters S-38B Restoration – Part 5

In part 5 of our restoration project, we align the radio and build, test and install the new BFO.  We also install the chassis in the case and finish up most of the decal placement.

The BFO design was taken from http://www.flashwebhost.com/circuit/bfoceramic.php.  I used power from pin 4 of the IF amplifier.

The next and final episode will show how we make the reproduction knobs and I will give you a final overview of the completed project.

Pic-A-Star Project Build – Part 3

In episode 3 of our Pic-A-Star Build, we install the components for the RS232 interface and start installing the components for the DSP and CODEC section.

I find that I made a mistake and installed a 10K thermistor instead of a 10K resistor in the audio amp section, so first I remove that and replace it with the correct component.

I have found that I prefer the 0805 component size over the 1206 or 0603 size.  The 1206 is a little big and doesn’t give you as much wiggle room as the 0805 and the 0603 are just a little small for my tastes.  Call it the Goldilocks syndrome or something, but next time I order, I know what I am going to try to spec.

On the Combo P1 boards, in the DSP section there is a capacitor that isn’t marked real well,  it is C199, I point that out in the video.  I also discover that I need to pay attention to the soldering tabs.  When you put the components on, make sure the long part of the tabs are a crossed from each other.  The space is tight, so sometimes the markings are twisted around and if you are not careful, you can mount them in the wrong direction.

The voltage check in the final section checked out correctly, so next step will be to burn the EPROM with gmon.hex and mount it along with the DSP chip and the CODEC chip.  I am waiting for the CODEC chip, since I had to order it from overseas.  So it may be a week or two before we move on.  In the meantime, I will do a video about burning the EPROM.

« Older Entries